Over the years, Hunter's Hardware has gone by many names, including R. Hunter, R. Hunter & Sons, W. Jack Hunter & Son, Jack M. Hunter (DBA Hunter's Hardware), and finally Hunter's Hardware, Inc.
Romanus Hunter originally founded the "R. Hunter Harness and Wagon Shop" in 1870 and opened a location at the corner of Mercer and Independence Street. The shop provided materials for carriages and wagons, as well as harnesses for oxen. Eventually, Romanus Hunter expanded his facility to also include farming equipment, feed, plows and more.
47 years later in 1917, Romanus' children purchased their father's interest in the company, and relocated the newly renamed "R. Hunters & Son's" store directly across the street from the flagship location.
Sadly, two of Romanus Hunter's sons, Cameron and Heber, lost their lives to influenza the following year. Romanus' brother, W. Jack Hunter, renamed and continued to operate the store under the new name, "W. Jack Hunter & Son."
In just a decade, "W. Jack Hunter & Son" business was so wildly popular that they outgrew the location's space. W. Jack Hunter constructed a new building on the north side of Independence Street, and connected the facility to the warehouses in the back. As time went on, and "W. Jack Hunter & Son" continued to grow, a new addition was added that fronted on Washington Street.
Since the building was placed in 1928, the store location has been a permanent fixture in Morgan County, West Virginia. While the business may have changed hands and names over the years, the superior level of quality and service has always remained.
Hunter's Hardware is proud to have been a long standing community leader for over 150 years.
We're proud to showcase the following employees who have spent 50+ years with the company:
Tom Barney - Tom began his career at the age of 16 and retired at the age of 86.
Betty Hutchinson - Betty was the business book-keeper for 50 years until retirement.
Robert "Grinder" Reynolds - Grinder served the company for 62 wonderful years before retiring.